Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Midlife crisis

Recently a friend of mine challenged me with a question that has truly influenced my thinking as of late. He asked me simply, “What is your purpose?” On the surface it seemed like a rather simple question to answer, but when I drilled down to look at the heart of the question it overwhelmed me. To be honest, I don't know that I could answer his question. I don't know that I could state my mission statement or purpose statement for anyone.....most importantly the guy in the mirror.


In a separate conversation I was speaking with someone else about how the age 35 seems to be the new midlife crisis age. There was a degree of humor in that statement when I made it. The more I thought about it the more I had to admit its truthfulness. I remember when I was young people age 45-50 getting the new sports car, buying that “toy” they always wanted, going skydiving, taking that trip etc. During those processes I found they were asking some interesting questions. Why do I do what I do for work? Why shouldn't I enjoy this life more? Why shouldn't I treat myself to something nice? What is the meaning of all of this? They seemed to be searching for a “feel good” experience to justify the previous 45-50 years of living. Having arrived at that place they came to a crisis of self. For some having those experiences validated what they did. For others it made the question even more vibrant.


Today, and in my generation, I believe the mid life crisis looks a bit different. I have little interest in buying a sports car, skydiving or anything of the like. I would suggest that the “new” midlife crisis is a crisis of purpose. Questions I am asking myself in that vein include: What do I want to do with my life? What legacy do I want to leave? What gets me up in the morning? What is important to me? What moves me to action? What excites me? Does this sound familiar to any of you?

I am 35 and find myself at that crossroads in life. I am struggling to figure out what it is I want to do. I am struggling to figure out where I want to go. I am looking for my purpose in this life. I am seeking the “reason to get up” in the morning. I ask myself, "Is this enough?" "Can I do more?" I've had some cool experiences in my life. I have lived and traveled over much of this country. I have 2 wonderful children and a woman who stands beside me, championing me on. I have been very fortunate to make good money along the way. I have a "sandbox" full of friends who know me and are willing to tell me how it is. It's not for a lack of things/people/experiences that I ask those questions. It's completely out of a desire to be fulfilled.

The answer to those questions above for me are a resounding YES. I want to do more, know why I get up in the morning, know where I am going, understand my purpose, start pursuing my dreams etc. Answering those questions leads to yet another question.....So now what?

I read a great post by someone who I grew up with and someone I would consider a friend even though we don't communicate much or run in the same circles anymore. The question he answered was when do you start pursuing your dream? Click here for a link to the post by Jon Acuff. The simple truth of his writing is that we can start today.

I may not have all the answers/whys/hows/whats yet, but I am going to start pursuing my dreams, doing what gets me up in the morning, understanding my purpose.

How about you? Are you really doing what you feel fulfilled by? Are you happy with the person in the mirror and what they have become? Are you starting your dream today?

1 comment:

Andi said...

Wow, Sean, I absolutely agree with you on this idea of our generation living a different crisis. I know I am. In fact, I was just hanging laundry and wondering why I get so invested in things and people so quickly. I think some of the answer has to do with the fulfillment you talk about.

But more than that, it's about finding the path and accepting the path as the fulfillment. . . Sometimes that really sucks, but in moments, it's like I've found the most beautiful road in the world and I get to keep driving it.

Thanks for posting this. I am so impressed by you.